Monday 22 October 2012

2. Olive Branch


As soon as she picked up Aubree from her neighbour she headed back into her cold apartment. Why didn't she just ask him? He was right there in front of her. Shaking her head at her stubbornness she carefully moved through to Aubree's room and lay her sleeping daughter gently into her crib. It was a fairly big crib but she wanted to get her a proper bed with the safety railings on it. If she had the money she would. As she moved back from tucking her in she felt her stomach growl, she didn't know how much longer she could hold this up. After watching Aubree sleep for a while she turned her light off and shut the door a little behind her making sure that some light still got into her room. This was what she couldn't stand the most. The silence. As soon as Aubree was down for a nap or in bed she was on her own again. Being forced back into memories of him being here with them. Making her laugh and playing with Aubree until she fell asleep in his arms. Turning the shower on she was pulled from her thoughts hearing a knock on he door. Quickly shutting the water off and grabbing her robe she threw it on as she put the chain across the door and opened it a crack. It was him.

"Nic? Please, let me in. We need to talk." She didn't answer and looked down, thinking about it. She really wanted to let him in but after what he did she was finding it hard to give in so easily. "Please? I brought food, it's your favourite, see?" He held up the takeout bag as his eyes remained locked with hers. He was right, it was her favourite and she was starving. Slowly giving in she tightened her robe and opened the door.

"You can't stay long, I wanna go to sleep." He sighed as he shut the door behind himself, he knew he'd have to prepare for this kind of attitude. But that was his fault.

"That's fine. I just wanna talk." He smiled and set the carrier bags down on the counter. "Shit Nic, it's fuckin' freezin' in here!" Rubbing his bare arms he saw her shift uncomfortably and look down. "Here lets get stuck into this, might warm us up." Reaching into the bag he pulled out Nicki's food and then his own as she grabbed them some cutlery before leading them over the couch.

"So?" She spoke up first, disturbing the silence.

"So, what?"

"Don't play wit' me SB. What did you come here for?" She took another spoonful of rice into her mouth as he sat forward on the couch opposite her.

"I came to apologise actually."

"Oh? And you think an apology and cheap ass take out is gon' fix what you fucked up?" Her venomous words cascaded over him as he shook his head in disbelief.

"Wow. And here I was thinkin' you'd actually act grown 'bout this Nicki! Shit, how wrong was I?" He stood up and threw his takeout carton into the bin. "Aight, don't say I didn't try. I'm outta here-"

"No! No wait! Please, don't go?" He frowned in confusion at how fast she jumped up. "I'm sorry, please just...Don't leave me." Looking into her tearful eyes he exhaled calmly before sitting back down where he was before as she gently sat next to him.

"You gon' hear me out this time?" Receiving a shy nod he continued talking. "As I was sayin', I came to apologise. I see you starin' in at me on your way home every night and I know you don't know I can see you. But I can. And every night I wanna go out and apologise like I am now but it's taken me this damn long to actually do it." He wasn't looking at her as she stayed silent next to him.

"You really hurt me Faree. When I needed you of all people, you weren't there."

"I know and I'm sorry for that! Really I am, if I could take back what I did I would. I should've been there for you. Both of you." He gently grabbed her hand and smiled weakly when she didn't pull away.
"I'm here now though and I promise you I'm not leavin' this time, you're my best friend and I'll always be here for you, from now on." Kissing the back of her hand he pulled her closer and kissed her forehead as she rested into him. Honestly she wanted to scream, yell and cuss at him but as soon as he had hold of her everything just washed away. They stayed silent for a while as he held on to her, but soon he broke the silence.

"When was the last time you saw him?"

"A few months ago. He doesn't wanna see me, or Aubree." Her voice hitched as she tried to force the tears back.

Pulling away he stared down at her tired, sad face. "What?" The confusion laced his short question.

"He told Sandi that he doesn't want us vistin' him anymore. He said it wasn't fair for any of us. What kind of fuckin' excuse is that?!" She pulled her sleeve over her hand and wiped her teary face. "Ughh, I'm sorry. You only just came back and you're hearin' me go on 'bout him already."

"Hey, don't apologise. You have the right to be mad....Y'know when he gets out yet?" He was treading carefully with his questions.

"No, I haven't heard anythin'." She sighed and turned her head in the direction of Aubree's room hearing her cries. "Hold on, I'll be back." She pulled her robe back over her shoulders some more and headed into her room. She was stood holding on to the crib railings as she cried. "Hey baby, what's that matter?" She reached in and pulled up her inconsolable child. After rocking her for a minute she sat her gently on her hip and moved back out to the lounge area. She saw Safaree looking at Aubree intently.

"She's so big now! Last time I seen her she was like this big!" He motioned with his hands as Nicki carefully sat Aubree down on the couch wrapping a little pink blanket around her. "Yeah, I can't believe she's two already. Like, where'd the time go?" Rubbing her small cheek she stepped back watching Safaree look at her some more. "I'm just gon' go get her a bottle."

                                                                                ***

A couple hours passed and Aubree was fast asleep again, snuggled up into Nicki's side.

"She looks like you y'know?" He brought his eyes back up to her face as he spoke.

"Really? Everyone says she looks more like Drake."

"Nah, she definitely looks more like her Mom. I mean you can tell he's her father, but she definitely resembles you more. For sure." He stopped as he watched her admiring the tiny toddler. "I know it's gon' take time for you to completely forgive me but we'll get there, I know it." They stared at one another for a split second, he could tell she was hurt but they needed each other. Her more than him at the moment. Just as she was about to reply all the lights cut out, plunging them into darkness causing Safaree to speak without thinking. "The fuck?"

"Shit." He heard Nicki's whisper as she gently moved herself away from a still sleeping Aubree. A couple of minutes later she returned with a torch. "I haven't paid the bill." Running her spare hand through her hair she exhaled deeply and sat down looking defeated.

"I didn't know things were that bad." He chewed on his lip as he thought for a minute. "Y'know there's a room goin' spare at my place if you wanna-"

"No, no I couldn't do that. I'll be fine I just-"

"Nicki, think about Aubree. Pretend you're not really doin' this for yourself." He knew how stubborn she was and this seemed like the only way to get her to agree. He'd noticed how barren her cupboards were earlier when he went to get them some glasses. As he continued to study her face in the torch light he saw her staring down at Aubree.

"How much do you want a week?"

"Don't act silly, it's nothin'. I need some company anyhow and I'm not abouta take no for an answer so, come on." He stood up carefully and took the torch with him leaving her in the dark until she whispered out his name, turning back to face her he shone the torch at her face. "Well? You comin' or what?" She couldn't believe the drastic turn of events, not long ago he was about to leave her in a mess, for the second time. And now? She had somehow agreed to move in with him without even opening her mouth. He knew she was crumbling because she didn't scream, shout or verbally abuse him. After what he did he deserved all of those things but it was like she'd lost her fight, hence her lack of protest about him coming into her home and just kind of demanding she come live with him. Aubree was the only reason she was doing all of this and he knew that. But at least she was agreeing, right? He watched her scoop the small child up and walk towards him with her tiny head resting on her shoulder as the rest of her body laying over her chest.

"Here, could you please take her? I needa go get her stuff." Without hesitating he took her little body into his arms. She was a deep sleeper he thought as he let her take the torch and waited patiently. Reappearing minutes later she had a large baby bag, a carrier seat and she'd changed her clothes. She was wearing Drake's hoodie which made him a cringe a little but he shrugged it off.

"You ready?" She nodded and followed him out of the door, looking back at her he noticed her struggling to carry everything. "Here, I'll swap you." Cautiously taking Aubree back into her arms she smiled at him as a thank you gesture. She was kind of relieved to be honest. Too tired to argue with him she was finding it in her heart to try and forgive him, he obviously wanted to repair their friendship and so did she. She missed him.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Hard times. :/ wtf did Safaree do? I wanna be mad at him cuz whatever it was was awful, but he's helping out so much right now... Like he showed up just in time. Ugh. & why is Drake in jail? & how can he deny them visits? Smh. At least that something that could've given her hope & he'd get to see his daughter growing up! Smh. Anyway, I hope this means things are turning around for Nicki.

    ReplyDelete